“A lot of care and attention is payed to urban planning, but the evolution of human settlements happens naturally because it is governed by a law of Physics.”
The evolution of the City is discussed by professor Adrian Bejan in the February 2017 issue of the Mechanical Engineering magazine.
On 25 July 2016, in an interview by the GEC MOOC team, Professor Adrian Bejan predicted that Donald Trump would win the US Presidential Election on 8 November 2016, on the basis of the S-curve theory of the Constructal Law in physics, as showed in the Figure 8.1, page 157, in his book The Physics of Life.
An in-depth analysis and a detailed review of every chapters of Adrian’s Bejan last book , “The Physics of Life: The Evolution of Everything“, is provided by M. M. Awad in this article, published in the Energy journal:
“This book is an invitation to think and to have fun with ideas. Adrian Bejan concludes that the constructal law “is bound to evolve, to serve our thinking better”. My own conclusion is that readers of this book are able to see the world more clearly, and to predict its future better and with greater confidence.” – M. M. Awad
- M. M. Awad, “The Physics of Life: The Evolution of Everything, Adrian Bejan, St. Martin’s Press (2016), 272 pages, ISBN: 978-1250078827”, Book Review, Energy, Volume 114, 1 November 2016, pp. 568, doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2016.08.032
In this article, Brian Resnick quote Prof. Adrian Bejan in order to provide us with some good advices on building a successful pyre, and discusses the processes tooking place while sitting around the campfire.
In a study published in 2015 in one of the Nature Scientific Reports, Professor Adrian Bejan, effectively showed that the best fires share the same design pattern: they are roughly as tall as they are wide.
- Brian Resnick, Campfires, explained, Vox.com, July 20, 2016.
- Tom Spears, Not too small, not too tall: Engineer researches perfect campfire for grilling, Postmedia News, July 25, 2016
- Ken Kingery, The Shape of a Perfect Fire, Duke.edu, June 8, 2015.
- Adrian Bejan, Why humans build fires shaped the same way, Nature, Scientific Reports 5, Article number: 11270 (2015), doi:10.1038/srep11270.
© Christine Forni
Christine Forni is a Chicago-based, multidisciplinary artist, with a foot in Paris. She is preparing an exhibition inspired by Constructal designs, in Nature:
“A glimpse into Forni’s studio while she prepares for an exhibition exploring natures similiarities. […]. She’s intrigued by how all things in nature have commonality in their visual structures for flow systems. This can be seen in capillaries, coral, lightning, antlers, rivers and trees.”
“In this lecture Prof Bejan draws attention to the theoretical work that places the phenomenon of evolution and life in physics, the biological and the geophysical realms together. He show that all evolutionary forms of flow organization are in accord with and can be predicted by the physics law that governs evolution in nature: the constructal law. He focuses on us. We are evolving as the “human & machine species.””